Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cheap Jeep No Start
09-02-2015, 07:25 PM
Cheap Jeep No Start
Got the Cheap Jeep. 1996 Cherokee Sport. Started no problem ran good. checked 4 high Low forward revers all good. Got a junk yard battery started it to charge it. ran for like 10 minutes and it now will not start. I have 5 Volts at the Crank position sensor. TPS and Camshaft sensors. My fuel pump is running. I measure at the coil and I have no voltage going in. I hope to get to Vinces U pull it tomorrow as Jay says they have 1 with a computer. Any advice is needed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2015, 09:06 PM
RE: Cheap Jeep No Start
(09-02-2015 07:25 PM)Burban Wrote:  Got the Cheap Jeep. 1996 Cherokee Sport. Started no problem ran good. checked 4 high Low forward revers all good. Got a junk yard battery started it to charge it. ran for like 10 minutes and it now will not start. I have 5 Volts at the Crank position sensor. TPS and Camshaft sensors. My fuel pump is running. I measure at the coil and I have no voltage going in. I hope to get to Vinces U pull it tomorrow as Jay says they have 1 with a computer. Any advice is needed.

Check the voltage while cranking.. The computer needs at least 10 + Volts to function properly. Have that problem a lot on the dynos at work where good batteries will drop to 10v or less while cranking and engine won't fire.. Especially while cold testing.
09-04-2015, 10:11 AM
(09-03-2015 09:06 PM)tacowillys Wrote:  
(09-02-2015 07:25 PM)Burban Wrote:  Got the Cheap Jeep. 1996 Cherokee Sport. Started no problem ran good. checked 4 high Low forward revers all good. Got a junk yard battery started it to charge it. ran for like 10 minutes and it now will not start. I have 5 Volts at the Crank position sensor. TPS and Camshaft sensors. My fuel pump is running. I measure at the coil and I have no voltage going in. I hope to get to Vinces U pull it tomorrow as Jay says they have 1 with a computer. Any advice is needed.

Check the voltage while cranking.. The computer needs at least 10 + Volts to function properly. Have that problem a lot on the dynos at work where good batteries will drop to 10v or less while cranking and engine won't fire.. Especially while cold testing.

Was going to say exactly that. I had a battery drop a cell on my 2000 and it wouldn't start. Cranked normally (old battery cables and original starter .... so it cranks slow) but it wouldn't fire. Turns out it was a bad battery. If I jumped started it, it would die as soon as I disconnected the other vehicle, too.

Mike
2000 XJ Cherokee - 3.5'' lift / 32'' Tirerecapper Pizza Cutters / Front Locker
09-05-2015, 08:32 AM
Finally got the voltage to hit while cranking. I put in a computer from a 97 Grand Cherokee. Not sure if this will create more issues but I have my check engine light back. Will try a new coil next. Had hoped to drive it today but the bus will have to do/.

(09-04-2015 10:11 AM)Miller88 Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 09:06 PM)tacowillys Wrote:  

Was going to say exactly that. I had a battery drop a cell on my 2000 and it wouldn't start. Cranked normally (old battery cables and original starter .... so it cranks slow) but it wouldn't fire. Turns out it was a bad battery. If I jumped started it, it would die as soon as I disconnected the other vehicle, too.