Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
3.55 dana h 30 ????
05-19-2015, 02:11 PM
Question 3.55 dana h 30 ????
Looking to swap the front axle in my zj from a d 30 to a dh30. I'm currently geared at 3.55 and was wondering if the dh30 came in a 3.55 variety so I wouldn't have to swap or change gearing on my rear axle. (If I had unlimited cash I'd swap out for Dana 60s or ford 8.8s front and rear but then lockers and the install kits would add up and I'm not necessarily ready for that yet.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2015, 08:02 PM
RE: 3.55 dana h 30 ????
I'm a dummy when it comes to this. However I requested a little help with this topic from someone that would know better than myself.

Alvarez Metal Works
Click here to visit me on Youtube
Click here to visit me on Facebook
[Image: forum-sig.png]
Check out Roark Supply @ www.roarksupply.com
For a 10% discount on your entire order use Coupon Code: Metal
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-19-2015, 09:33 PM
The High Pinion Dana 30 came on 99 and older XJ Cherokees. It's a bolt in upgrade for a TJ and ZJ.

Pretty much any 4.0L auto Cherokee is going to have 3.55 gears. Some towing package (96 and older ) had 3.73 gears.

Are you lifted ? There are clearance issues with the exhaust manifold on ZJ , tj and 00+ xj If not lifted...

Mike
2000 XJ Cherokee - 3.5'' lift / 32'' Tirerecapper Pizza Cutters / Front Locker
05-19-2015, 09:40 PM
I have 3.5 inch lift so it should be ok and all adjustable suspension so adjusting the alignment won't be a problem.
So if I hit up u pull u save most of the pre 99 xjs should be 3.55 as long as it didn't have a tow package?
Thanks for the help man. I've been googling shit all day trying to figure out what to do. Whether I should just aussie lock my d 30 or upgrade to d h 30 and then lock that. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one with a locker in it already.
05-20-2015, 04:43 AM
You should be able to find alot of high pinion d30 s at the yard, getting one with a locker is another story. Do you have the 35 rear? You could try to find the 44a rear, most likely found in a v8 zj.

yj project under construction

https://www.youtube.com/user/goldxlt/videos
05-20-2015, 10:38 AM
I'd have to grab the front and back and drive shafts if I went that route. The 44 a isn't bolt in. But it would be nice upgrading to the 3.73 ratio with the h 30 and 44 a. Just means more $$ because I'd still have to buy an aussie locker on top of it all for the front at least.
05-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Sounds like I am seeing a pick and pull run in the near future.
05-20-2015, 10:59 AM
Maybe in a couple weeks when I get my check haha. I still don't know what I want to do
05-20-2015, 03:58 PM
Is the low pinon 30 giving you any problems? The only reason I swapped mine is it was cheaper than having it rebuilt when my pinion bearing failed.

The front driveshaft will work - I used the same front driveshaft on my 2000 Cherokee when I went from the LP to HP 30. If anything, the front driveshaft will be operating at it's standard angles again. I have about the same angle on the front driveshaft with 3.5'' of lift and the HP30 as I did stock with the lP30.

I paid $85 for my HP30 axle bearing to bearing. I did have to do ball joints on it ... but it was a lot easier.

Your ZJ has CV shafts the XJ axle is going to have U Joint shafts. You can use whichever you please, they are interchangeable. However, I have read, don't use the U Joint shafts if you use the "full time" 4wd feature (not a problem if you have 231 TCase).

There are a few different setups for wheel bearings and rotors. The AMC built XJs and YJs use a different knuckle, I believe, so swapping your wheel bearings/rotors on may be troublesome ... and the calipers may not be interchangeable. But the odds of finding an AMC built Jeep in the junkyard are small - they rusted away 15 years ago.

There are cast and composite rotors for Chrysler-era X/Y/T/Zj jeeps. There's varying information for which jeeps got what. The calipers are all the same on X/Y/T/ZJ chrysler-era jeeps. Best bet is to just use your rotor/wheel bearing combo that is on your jeep currently.

If you use the cast wheel bearing with the composite rotor ... they won't mate up properly and the caliper won't fit together.

XJs without the Center Axle disconnect have bigger U Joints - that shouldn't be a problem because I haven't seen an XJ old enough for that in a few years in the junkyards.

Mike
2000 XJ Cherokee - 3.5'' lift / 32'' Tirerecapper Pizza Cutters / Front Locker
05-20-2015, 07:44 PM
In theory the hp30 ring and pionon is stronger than the lp30 as on the hp you will be on the coast side of the gear and on the lp30 you are on the drive side of the gear. I just swapped in a hp30 in my tj from a 97 and everything bolted up like it belong in the tj.